Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Saving the day...

... One laptop at a time.

So, I discovered that the FPS issue, mentioned in my previous post, is not present when I utilize my laptop to play WoW. I used the same addons, and tried to replicate the same settings, with completely differing results.

I can only surmise that the new patch has screwed something up with newer nVidia cards. So what else is new? This always happens, and sometimes I wonder whether it was such a good idea to upgrade to a GTX 280.

Of course it's not necessarily something to do with Blizzard's game performance, it could also be an issue with my hardware, but the fact that this only started happening after the patch was applied is highly suspect. I also played Dragon Age: Origins to see if there was a noticeable performance issue, but it seemed to be functioning smoothly (if only I had an FPS indication on there).

Even though I can use my laptop with great performance, I would still prefer to sit at my desktop. I just hope this is an issue that can be fixed through a hotfix or a new driver release.

And speaking of driver releases, I heard the latest nVidia driver is really bad for the cards, something about it not telling the fan to spin and cool down the GPU. What's that company doing???

No comments:

Post a Comment