Sunday, September 7, 2014

Sims 4 Beginner's Impressions

I had posted a Sims 4 entry prior to this one about how people are getting their panties in a twist over missing features in Sims 4, and now that I have finally played some of the game I can vent even more about the dumb dumbs out there complaining.

First of all, the game is robust enough without all the things people have been complaining about.

I'll start off talking a bit about the career systems, since that's one of the bigger changes I noticed. The sims I have created have both sought employment, one as an artist, the other an astronaut. The first thing I noticed was a job leaves little room for other stuff unless it's the weekend.



But let me say the career choices now finally have you investing more time in your actual work, and aren't just some rabbithole money-tossing machines. Yes your sims disappear into a rabbithole style system when they're at work, however there's more to the job than just leveling your sim's skills. You have to fulfill a certain task for each stage of promotion and I can only assume that these tasks become more challenging the further you climb the employment ladder.

The aspirations system is also similar in this vein, you need to achieve certain things to complete stages of aspiration and it really takes a lot of work. You can also change and add aspirations as you play, which is awesome, since you never feel stuck with an "oh, what do I do now? I guess I'll lounge on the couch... hohum" feeling.

Collections are also a bit more complex than simply picking something up and selling it, of course you can do that still, but you can also get involved with the geology of things and I have only managed to scratch the surface of this so far, as my working sims are very busy with their work on a daily basis. There's a collections gallery where all the things you have discovered will be displayed. There are a LOT of things to check out in there, it will certainly keep me busy for a while.

Cooking is definitely more interesting, I don't know if I understand all of it yet, but your sim will always use money when they make something out of the fridge, which means you won't run into the money bloat wealth issue that Sims 3 seemed to always end up being. All that cash, nothing to spend it on except bills and the occasional spa treatment.

Not so in Sims 4, your sims have to pay for a lot of things including household bills, but I think that's a better way to keep your sims motivated to make cash and stay employed or productive somehow.

Neighbourhoods are still open beyond one house, but smaller than in Sims 3, and thank GOD for that. I actually love it because I get a sense that my sims are part of a suburb of close neighbours and friends, and they still see people walking around in their neighbourhood every now and then, it really feels great.

Emotions. I'm kind of still feeling this mechanic out. It confuses me sometimes, but at the same time I like how it varies my sims' behaviours. A tense sim will walk with a depressed gait and will appear really down, one sim even ate his breakfast with a wobbling bottom lip while really tense. It was quite adorable, I really felt bad for him poor dear. Other moods will have your sim looking and behaving confident or sexy.

SEXINESS IS BACK, to a degree. I missed that about Sims 2, Sims 3 just felt so clinical in the romance aspect, but I find some of the attitude is back in Sims 4 and the romance interactions are really funny and more exciting. The dramatic romance kiss is back (YES), and sims will actually fistpump or clap excitedly when asked for woohoo, which is quite adorable, I know I'd be doing the same if a hot person asked me for a woohoo *cough*.

Moving on.

Building is spectacular. I no longer hate my life when I try to do something in build mode. Fast and responsive, overall it's a very smooth and pleasant experience. The addition of elements you couldn't manipulate before has exploded into choice and I was overwhelmed at first with what I wanted to try. There's a LOT there I still haven't even touched, and I will be consuming it one pixel at a time to experiment further with it. I'll be designing more houses in the future and possibly dipping my toes in the gallery system.

But this is just initial stuff I've discovered, I'll be writing more blogs about it and some bugs I've encountered, I just don't want this thing to get hella long. Plus I want to go and start up the game!

No comments:

Post a Comment